All infant staff, rotating staff and administrative staff must have SIDS training. SIDS training must be renewed every three years. Please read over the FEELC Infant Safe Sleep Policy.
FEELC Infant Safe Sleep Policy was adopted: 4/27/12. This policy was reviewed 7/17/14. This policy was reviewed and revised on 3/19/15.
FEELC is committed to providing infants with a safe place to grow and learn. For this reason, FEELC has created a policy on safe sleep practices for infants up to 1-year-old. We follow the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission to provide a safe sleep environment and reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). The staff, substitute staff, and volunteers at FEELC follow the recommendations for safe sleep from the AAP and meet or exceed the NC Child Care Regulations for safe sleep.
- Infants will be placed flat on their backs (supine position) to sleep unless the infant has a Health Care Professional Wavier that allows for an alternate sleep position completed, signed, and placed in their file. If a Health Care Professional Wavier is on file the teachers will place a note on the infant’s crib stating that a wavier is on file.
- Infants will not be placed on their side for sleep.
- Devices such as wedges or infant positioners will not be used since such devices are not proven to reduce the risk of SIDS and can be hazardous.
- Infants who use pacifiers will be offered their pacifier when they are placed to sleep. If the pacifier falls out of the infants mouth during their nap the FEELC staff will either replace it in the infant’ mouth or allow it to remain in the crib for the infant to access it.
- Pacifiers will be cleaned between each use, checked for tears, and will not be coated in any sweet or other solution.
- Parents are asked to provide replacement and age appropriate pacifiers on a regular basis.
- While infants will always be placed on their backs to sleep, when an infant can easily turn over from back to front and front to back, they can remain in whatever position they prefer to sleep. FEELC staff will make a note of the infant meeting this developmental milestone and inform parents and the other staff.
- Our program will use Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines for safety-approved cribs and firm mattresses.
- Infants will not be placed to sleep on any soft surfaces.
- Only one infant will be placed to sleep in each crib. Siblings, including twins and triplets, will be placed in separate cribs.
- The crib will have a firm tight fitting mattress covered by a fitted sheet and will be free from loose bedding, toys, and other soft objects (i.e., pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, stuffed toys, etc.)
- FEELC will allow pacifiers, Please NO soft toy, ties or strings attached to pacifier. Bibs and pacifiers will not be tied around an infant’s neck or clipped on to an infant’s clothing during sleep.
- If a light blanket is used, the child’s feet will be placed to the foot of the crib/mat a light blanket will be tightly tucked in along the sides and foot of the mattress, or under the mat. The blanket will not come up higher than the infant’s chest. Sleep clothing; such as sleepers or sleep sacks (appropriate size) may be used as alternatives to blankets if parents choose to provide them. Please make sure they are lightweight.
- Smoking will not be allowed in or near FEELC.
- To avoid overheating, the temperature of the rooms where infants sleep will be checked and will be kept at a level that is comfortable, which is between 68-75F degrees.
- When infants are in their cribs, they will be within sight and hearing of staff at all times.
- A staff member will visibly check on the sleeping infants every 20 minutes. They will record this on an Infant/Toddler Sleep Chart.
- When an infant is awake and alert, they will have supervised “tummy time.” This will help babies strengthen their muscles and develop normally.
- Infants will promptly be removed from car seats at drop off.
- Infants that fall asleep in a swing or bouncer/infant seat will promptly be removed and placed in their crib on their back.
- Once infants are awake they will be spend less than 5 minutes in their cribs before being removed to have supervised tummy time on the floor.
- All infant and toddler staff, administration staff, rotating staff, and volunteers at FEELC will be trained on safe sleep policies and practices every 3 years by attending an ITS-SIDS training workshop.
- Every September all of FEELC staff, administration staff, rotating staff, and volunteers will review FEELCs Infant and Toddler Safe Sleep Policy.Documentation that staff, administration staffs, rotating staff and volunteers have read and understand these policies will be kept in each individuals file.
- Before they are allowed to care for infants, all staff, administration staff, rotating staff and volunteers at FEELC will be trained every 3 years in First Aid and every 1-2 year(s) in CPR so they know how to respond to an unresponsive infant/toddler.
- FEELC will complete “How to Respond to an Unresponsive Infant” practice drills every six months. These will take place in June and December of each year. Each infant classroom will maintain a log of the drills.
When The Policy Applies:
This policy applies to all staff, administration staff, rotating staff, parents, and volunteers when they care for infants at FEELC.
Communication Plan for Staff and Parents:
Parents will read and discuss this policy with FEELC’s administrator when they are enrolling their child in FEELC. There will also be a copy provided in the parent handbook. Parents are asked to follow this same policy when the infant is at home. These policies will be posted in prominent places. Information regarding safe sleep practices, safe sleep environments, reducing the risk of SIDS in child care as well as other program health and safety practices will be shared with families and all FEELC staff 14 days before any changes go into effect.
All FEELC staff has reviewed, discussed, and signed a copy of the SIDS policy. The policy will also be provided in the FEELC staff handbook.
Any individual who has questions about the FEELC Infant/Toddler Safe Sleep Policy may contact: FEELC Director: Beth Lake by email at email@example.com or phone at (919) 541-1461.
Last updated: 1/26/2017