In case of a medical or dental emergency, the staff will follow specific procedures:
- Classroom teacher will administer first aid
- An accident report will be prepared. One copy will go to the administrative staff in the front office and the other will be given to the parent.
If a child has an emergency inside the Center or on the playground, a staff member will bring the child to the Center office to be assessed by the administrative staff. If the child is not able to be moved, then an administrative staff member will be called to the scene of the accident immediately. The following procedures will be followed:
- If the child has sustained a head, neck, or spinal cord injury or obvious leg fracture, the staff must call 911.
- If the child has none of the above and is able to be moved, the parents will be responsible for transporting the child to the hospital of their choice. If a parent cannot be located and the Executive Director or Administrative staff determines that the child should be treated by a physician, the emergency contact person will be called to transport the child or the hospital of choice will be called for ambulance transportation.
The Executive Director or administrative staff will be responsible for the following:
- Assuring that authorization for medical treatment is taken with the ill or injured person to the hospital.
- Accompanying the ill or injured person to the hospital. (Remember that ratios must be maintained.)
- Notifying the parents.
- Notifying the emergency contact person in case of staff illness or injury requiring transportation to a medical facility.
- Notifying the medical facility about the person to be treated.
- Obtaining substitute staff if needed
Emergency contact information must be kept current at all times. Please notify the Center of any change.
Last updated: 1/26/2017